Virtual Human Resources (VHR©) Assistant
SHRM Long Island Wins Pinnacle Award
from SHRM for Exceptional HR Program
Greenlawn, NY, November 21, 2014 — SHRM Long Island won the Pinnacle Award last week, given by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) to its state councils and chapters for highly notable contributions to the HR profession.
Created in 1991, the Pinnacle Award is the highest achievement SHRM state councils and chapters can attain, and it honors programs that exceed the standard activities of SHRM affiliates in enhancing the creation of effective HR management. SHRM-LI was one of 12 human resource organizations from across the country to win the award.
An additional award was given this year to SHRM-LI, for the most innovative initiative submitted this year.
“On behalf of SHRM-LI, I am thrilled to have achieved Pinnacle status and to have been awarded the first ever Pinnacle Innovative Award. These awards are truly the crowning achievement of our continuing efforts to advance the HR profession on Long Island and be the Voice of HR on Long Island. My appreciation goes to our Workforce Readiness committee and the stellar co-chairs of this committee, Sue Gubing and Jamie Davis. It is only through their efforts that we were able to accomplish this level”, Annette Perry, PHR, CP, President SHRM-LI.
SHRM-LI and the Workforce Readiness Committee has focused on building tomorrow’s workforce by placing an emphasis on presenting Workforce Readiness lessons to grades 9-12. To this end we have developed SHRM-LI’s “Virtual HR Assistant Program”, an innovative virtual internship program that introduces high school students to HR careers while building workforce readiness skills for the future.
Winning programs selected from 67 applications received a $1,000 prize, sponsored by ADP Inc. The award was given at SHRM’s annual Volunteer Leaders’ Summit in Washington, D.C., which was attended by Annette Perry, President; Christel Colon, President Elect and Linda Selden, Chapter Executive Director representing SHRM-LI.
“Winners of this award are SHRM affiliates that have shown leadership in the HR profession through innovative and forward-thinking programs,” said Henry G. (Hank) Jackson, president and CEO of SHRM. “Their efforts are a testament to our members, HR professionals, and their commitment to aligning people and business strategies. This year’s winners offer solutions to timely and real-life challenges facing workplaces today, including the skills gap and helping military veterans return to the civilian workforce.”
The 2014 SHRM Pinnacle Award winners are:
· Northern Alabama SHRM – “Empowerment through Employment Job Fair and Training”
· Arkansas SHRM State Council (ARSHRM) – “ARSHRM Collaborates with DHS Superstar Dave Basham to Present Three Wildly Successful Form 1-9/E-Verify Webinars”
· SHRM Western Connecticut – “Local HR Resource Directory”
· Sarasota-Manatee HR Association (Fla.) – “Taking Certification to Another Level”
· Human Resource Association of the Midlands (Neb.) – “Excel with a Mentor”
· Nevada State SHRM Council – “Nevada SHRM Young Professionals”
· SHRM Long Island (N.Y.) – “SHRM-LI’s Virtual Resource Assistant Program”
· North Carolina SHRM State Council – “N.C. SHRM State Food Drive”
· DallasHR (Texas) – “Executive Breakfast Series”
· Northern Utah Human Resource Association – “Investing in Our Future: Committed to Next Generation”
· Shenandoah Valley SHRM (Va.) – “Virginia Legal Forum”
· Apple Valley HR Association (Wenatchee, Wash.) (AVHRA) – “AVHRA Board/Chapter Reengagement – Look at Us Now!”
- Increase awareness of the role the Human Resource professional plays in the corporate world
- Assist students in building workforce readiness skills while exploring human resource careers
Welcome to TechnoBeats International, an international distributor of DJ equipment such as keyboards, lights, speakers, sound boards for high-end entertainment. The fictitious company TechnoBeats International is the corporate site for all sales, marketing, and event planning.
The training as a Human Resources Assistant will include the following:
SESSION 1: Human Resources Career Pathways: Knowledge and Skills
- Welcome to TechnoBeats, International
- What is Human Resources and what are the tasks of an HR Assistant
- How does Human Resources fit into a company?
- Job titles and career paths
- Education and skills needed for career growth
SESSION 2: Communication Skills: Verbal and Written
- Basic tasks of a HR Assistant
- Greeting visitors/applicants
- Test run of online job application
SESSION 3: Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Acceptable Job interview questions
- Research Long Island corporate career pages
- Resume and cover letter review
- VHR Credential and Assessment:
At the completion of the three days of training and mastery or all nine human resources tasks, the student will have the opportunity to earn the “Virtual Human Resources Credential” by completing a final assessment.
This credential may be placed on the student’s resume and used as “talking points” at a future job or college interview.