Mission Statement: ”To increase awareness and provide our membership a diversity lens through inclusive initiatives and informational resources.”
di ver si ty
Date: 14th century
At SHRM, we define Diversity as “the collective mixture of differences and similarities that includes for example, individual and organizational characteristics, values, beliefs, experiences, backgrounds, preferences, and behaviors.”
in clu sion
Etymology: Latin inclusion- ,inclusio, from includere
At SHRM, we define inclusion as ”the achievement of a work environment in which all individuals are treated fairly and respectfully, have equal access to opportunities and resources, and can contribute fully to the organization’s success.”
SHRM-LI Supports Our Veterans
To learn more about employment of veterans, resources available to veterans and the benefits received by the employer and the veteran-employee, click on the links below.
Veterans Health Alliance of Long Island/Mental Health Association of Nassau County
“You Served Your Country-Now Let Your Community Support You”
The Veterans Health Alliance of Long Island includes representatives from state and county government, the VA, veterans’ organizations, mental health and substance abuse providers, universities, business, and individual veterans, all of whom have a personal interest in supporting Long Island’s veterans.
You Served You Earned! There is HELP There are BENEFITS There are ANSWERS Click Here to Download Brochure The following article appeared in LongIslandPress.com By Spencer Rumsey on January 27, 2011: Soldiers of Misfortune: Thousands of Long Island Veterans Need
Additional Veteran Resources:
- Long Island State Veterans Home- 631-444-8547 or 631-444-VETS
- Mental Health Assoc. of Nassau County- 516-504-HELP
- VA Medical Center in Northport/Caregiver Support Coordinator – 1-855-260-3274
- VA Northport Agent Orange Registry- 631-261-4400
- VA Women’s Program- 631-544-5314
- Veterans Crisis Hotline for urgent mental health issues- 1-800-273-TALK (Press 1 for veterans)
- Veterans Services Division Town of Oyster Bay
- 977 Hicksville Road Massapequa, NY 11758
- Phone (Workday) – 516-797-7875 Phone (24/7) – 516-799-8300 Fax- 888-799-8301
- Weekly Column – http://experts.longisland.com/veterans Blog:
- Presentations to community groups on the subject of Veterans can be arranged.
- Mental Health Association – 516-489-2322 ext. 1111.
For further information contact:
Diversity and Inclusion Co-Chairs – DiversityandInclusion@SHRMLI.org Lois M. Cooper Lisa Griffith, Esq.